While vehicles are being made safer than ever, statistics show that car wreck fatalities and car accident injuries are climbing at an alarming rate. 2021 was the highest increase in car accident fatalities since the beginning of Fatality Analysis Reporting by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).
In the United States during 2021, 42,915 people were killed in car accidents. This is a 10.5% increase from 2020. 2021 was the highest increase in car accident fatalities since the beginning of Fatality Analysis Reporting by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).
The leading causes of fatalities in car accidents are:
- Drunk Driving or Driving while impaired: Drunk Driving was the cause of over 17,000 car accident fatalities every year. This means someone is killed by a drunk driver every 30 minutes.
- No seatbelt: Of those killed in car wrecks, 56% of drivers were not wearing their seatbelt, and 59% of passengers.
- Speeding: We say it often. Speed kills, and statistics show that is true. 29% of all fatality car wrecks involved speeding in 2020.
- Distracted Driving: We all know texting while driving is dangerous. However, any type of distracted driving can cause serious injury or a car accident that involves a fatality. 6% of fatal car accidents are caused by distracted drivers. 64% were “daydreaming” or “lost in thought” not paying attention and 12% were texting.
- Driving while Sleepy: Studies show that driving while sleepy can be just as dangerous and driving under the influence. In 2020, 633 fatal car accidents were caused by a driver who was “drowsy”.
In Alabama, there were 932 people killed in a car accident during 2020. Meaning a person was killed in Alabama every 9 hours and 30 minutes in a traffic accident. But it isn’t just fatalities in car accidents. In 2020 for 37,280 people suffered a personal injury while involved in a car wreck in Alabama. Alabama is ranked 14th in the country for highest number of car accidents per capita. A car wreck was reported every 3 minutes and 55 seconds in Alabama in 2020.
Furthermore, Across the US, 4.8 Million people were seriously injured in a car accident in 2021. According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 13 car accidents occur every minute in the United States.
https://troopers.ny.gov/impaired-driving https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/yearly-snapshot, https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/813266 https://drivesafealabama.org/serious-stats https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/most-dangerous-states-for-drivers/
Ready to discuss your case? Contact our experienced team of personal injury lawyers for a free initial case consultation*
How Likely Are You to Get Into a Car Accident?
A report by recently conducted by Esurance uncovered some startling statistics. 77% of drivers have been involved in at least one car accident during their lifetime. Your chances of getting into a car accident during a 1000-mile trip is 1 out of 366.
So how does all of this apply to you? Well, the average driver will file an insurance claim every 17.9 years, meaning they will file a claim 3 to 4 times during their life.
Why Should I Get a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Insurance companies are used to dealing with car accidents and injuries from car accidents. With the increase of serious personal injury and fatalities from car wrecks, car insurance companies are offering less and less for the worth of your vehicle, injuries you may have incurred, loss of wages and more. The car insurance adjuster’s job is to pay you the least amount possible – to save their bottom line. Paying out large claims does not look good to insurance company’s shareholders and investors. Therefore, car insurance companies will go to great lengths not to pay what they should.
Because of this, it is more important than ever to make sure you have an experienced personal injury attorney or law firm whose primary focus is handling car wrecks and serious personal injury. An experienced personal injury attorney or firm will be well versed in the tricks, schemes and practices that insurance companies consistently use. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to strategically combat the car insurance company’s tricks, walk you through the claims process and get you or your loved one the monies that you deserve.